Thursday, August 16, 2012

Monson, ME

I just arrived in Monson early this morning.  I was planning on doing some eating, loading-up on supplies, doing my internet chores and moving on, but then it started raining.  And then I got pretty wet and cold.  So, it looks like I'm taking the day off.

Monson marks the beginning of the 100 miles wilderness.  Compared to the terrain we've been hiking for the last few hundred miles, it's supposed to be easy.  I'm not too worried about it.  The only thing that makes it a little difficult is that it's super isolated, so you pretty much have to carry a week's worth of food - at least that's what I'm doing.  And then guess what happens.  YOU'RE AT THE END OF THE TRAIL!!!  Yeah, I'm pretty excited.  Er, I would be, but the rain is wearing me down at the moment.

I haven't been able to write much lately because the last few towns have either not had a library or the library has been closed b/c of an event or some bizzare, budget-cutting hours.  That's actually the case here too, but luckily the hostel/b&b I'm at right now is letting me use their computer.  So, here are some thing's I've left out of my last few posts:

Maine is awesome view-wise and feeling-wise.  Compared to previous states, it's very rural.  It actually reminds me a lot of Northern MN - but with mountains.  They've got lots of mosquitos here.  Lots of lakes.  And the occasional moose as well - although, I hear the MN moose aren't doing too well.

Speaking of moose, I saw my fifth moose yesterday.  I had just started hiking, and I snuck off the trail a bit to go to the bathroom.  As I was doing my thing, I heard something off to the side.  Something heavy and moving slow.  I thought it might have been a human or even possibly a manbearpig.  "Oh no.  Caught going to the bathroom - again!"  (Yes, this would have been the third or fourth time.  I'm lazy when is comes to giving myself privacy.)  But, no, it was an antlered moose, moving slowly through the woods and pretty close by too - maybe 15/20 yards away.

On a serious note, I also learned recently about a thru-hiker who died earlier this year.  I had heard a few weeks back about someone who had drowned in a lake in ME, but didn't know too much about the circumstances.  He was just off the shore, near a shelter with a number of other hikers nearby.  Apparently, he was swimming on a full stomach and experienced muscle cramps and couldn't stay afloat.  This was back in June.  They had his picture in the shelter and a memorial next to the lake.  It's really sad.  Since this happened in ME, the ATC awarded him his 2000-miler status posthumously and some other hikers spread his ashes atop Katahdin.  The way I see it, at least he died doing something he enjoyed - and not of a heart attack, in his apartment, alone.  RIP...

Back to a less-serious note.  Monson marks the end of the road for my running shoes.  I've been avoiding it for a long time, but it's time to say goodbye.  I got replacement shoes back in VT (~400 miles back), but couldn't bring myself to throw away my old running shoes.  I've had these guys for 2.5 years and they've been with me on Mt Fuji, hiking around the Himalayas, my one and only marathon, a number of half-marathons and most recently the AT since Connecticut.  At this point, there's almost no fabric left on them, and I have to dump out dirt and trail-debris several times a day.  Not worth it.  Goodbye guys...

From AT 2012

One more week left!

1 comment:

  1. Wish we could be with you to hike the last few miles onto Mt. Katahdin. What an extraordinary accomplishment this has been for you. We are so proud of you. Love, Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete