Thursday, June 28, 2012

Shoes!

A bunch of people have asked about the footwear that I use while hiking, so I thought I'd share this...

After more than 1450 miles, my trail shoes have finally called it quits.  A few weeks ago, in the first part of Pennsylvania, the back flaps started coming off.  I went into town and got some superglue to try to get some extra life out of the shoes, but it was not enough.  Once I got into the second, rockier part of PA, things really went downhill (pun intended).  More super-glue, duct tape... nothing was keeping these flaps on.  Then I just cut one of them off so at least they wouldn't be flopping around, but without that rubber pad on the bottom, the foam between my feet and the ground has withered away to the point where my shoes are not really working the way that they're supposed to.  So, I'm tossing those bad boys out and moving onto my next pair.  The question is: what do I use?

From AT 2012

When it comes to long-distance hiking, one of the most important pieces of gear you need to think about is what you're going to wear on your feet.  Footwear generally falls into three categories: hiking boots, trail runners and plain old running shoes.  (And then you have the rare person who uses minimal footware or goes barefoot, but there aren't too many of those people.)  Old-school hikers (or those who want some protection for their ankles) will go with hiking boots.  They're heavy and their stiffness can increase your odds of blisters, but they're also more durable (in theory) than lesser shoes and they can potentially stop you from turning your ankle.  People who want lighter shoes will go with trail runners.  These shoes are a cross between running shoes and boots.  They're pretty light and they roll like running shoes, but they're a little more durable and the base of the shoe is thicker - giving your feet more protection from the trail.  And, finally, there are some people who go with plain old running shoes.  They're the lightest of the three options and they are also the cheapest.

For my hike, I went with trail runners, because in the past I've had issues with hiking boots (blisters) and I wanted something lighter as well.  The less weight you have on your feet, the less work you're doing - and over the course of 2100+ miles, your feet are doing a lot of moving.  So, less is more.  And I don't think I need the extra ankle support because I did quite a bit of running prior to my hike, which should hopefully mean my ankles are decently strong.

My trail runners lasted a long time.  Most other hikers are on their second, third or fourth pair of shoes, whereas I was using the original pair up until now.  I'm considering using an old pair of running shoes I have in storage, but I'm worried they might not make it to ME.  So, the question is: buy a new pair of trail runners or chance it on something lighter that I already have sitting around?

1 comment:

  1. Personally I'd go with trail wingtips. I'd hate to come across a forest animal disco and be under-dressed

    ReplyDelete